Monday, November 26, 2007

Wedding Escapade Series- FLOWERS

This is how I want my table to look like.

Alan and I have decided to use the holidays for planning, checking wedding vendors, and basically getting things accomplished.

The drive to Houston took 10ish hours. It wasn't that bad because we got to Kingwood at around 7:00. We were so tired so it was an early night for both of us.

The following day was work day for the fiance. Since I was stuck in the apartment I decided to make Chicken Pot Pie from scratch. In a semi-kinda-sorta way, I felt it was a success despite the dryness of the sauce (I left it in the oven while we went out for a breather--breather means like 4 hours).

Going back to the wedding, I tried Virginia's Bakery for a possible meeting to inquire about wedding cakes. Each call I made was answered by her very informative answering machine. Answering machine informed me that Virginia is booked til the third of December.
Finally, I got a hold of her. She seems warm enough and told me that we can have an appointment around January of next year. Okay...isn't she in demand? So here I go explaining my dilemma that I'm not from Houston. She did understand my concerns but I guess she told me, just in a nicer way, that I could have a meeting with her this January...still (didn't get my hint at all).

Taken in one of the flower shops
Day 1
November 20, 2007

I still had to figure out what this day was about. We were going downtown to check on flowers. Turns out that we made numerous side trips to; 1) my cupcake shops (which I'll be blogging about next); 2) my favorite, Wholefoods, and; 3) Borders for CD's, coffee, and a bridal magazine.

As we hit Main St., we saw a lot of shops that were selling their flowers wholesale. It was like the trading post of flowers. Prices were very reasonable and I was able to see the flowers I wanted. I learned that the orchids I wanted are called Phalaenopsis. They're white, pretty, simple,and elegant. The long stem holds around 3-4 orchids. Again, I was envisioning how it would look like on the table (check picture on top).

1st Shop,
They had the flowers but none of them understood what I wanted and they couldn't communicate with me because they didn't speak English. The orchid was sold for $25.00 but it was set in a pot. What I was trying to point out to them was that I needed these orchids to be in a vase, a glass vase to be exact. No one gave me an answer and just handed me a business card.


Phalaenopsis Orchid

2nd Shop--Nora's
Better people because we were able to communicate. All their orchids were in a refrigerated room and the Phalaenopsis came in several colors. Nora, the lady incharge, was saying that they don't know when these flowers are available so it would be better if we get back to them around April and check again. Price of orchid--$28.00 per stem. The shop was better than the first too.


3rd Shop
The rudest of them all just told us to "GO HOME"... literally! If we weren't buying his flowers today, then we don't have any business being there. So there...$%^k him and his store. We were actually plotting something very evil with Alan. How about throwing eggs and flour at his shop during the night and TP his entire store? Too juvenile eh?My frustration and blood pressure just went up BIG TIME. All I can say is that he lost a client who was willing to spend on flowers. So eventhough his shop had the bestlooking and biggest Phalaenopsis, he had an attitude of a miserable ogre. Btw, the price of the orchid was $26.00.
***
The following day, we found our Mama Florist, Connie. It just so happened that we were driving by and decided to check her shop out. Ironically, she turned out to be "our" florist. She welcomed us immediately and answered most of our questions. Her shop is a run-down trailer named the Flower Market. She told us that she started her business during the late 70's and knows Kingwood Country Club very well. I told her what I wanted and she gave me a quote that was actually more than okay. The package included everyone in my wedding party. Aside from that, she said that she would personally deliver the flowers, help with the bouquets, and pin the corsages and button holes. This would mean less work to do during the wedding.
Phew!
That's one task down, a lot more to go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the first flower picture the best.

Anonymous said...

I love the first flower picture the best.